CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

January 13, 2010
Posted: 1725 GMT

There is only one story domintaing the news today: the devastating earthquake that hit Haiti yesterday and the picture of the aftermath that is emerging as the day progresses.

The Haitian Prime Minister, Jean-Max Bellerive, told CNN that "well over 100,000" are feard dead in this disaster.

We will take you live to Port-au-Prince as your crews start reporting from the scene.

We will bring you the latest from the world of social media like Twitter and Facebook. This story gained worldwide attention mainly through these website as communications remain very unreliable in Haiti.

Most of the information coming to us in the early hours after the quake came to us from ordinary citizens in Haiti who were able to communicate online and through webcams.

We are hearing of stories of despair as many of the injured are unable to get medical help. Hospitals are crammed and roads are impassable.

Now aid groups and charity organizations are scrambling to help the people of Haiti. We will speak to the head of one group and tell you how you can help the victims of Haiti's earthquake.

See you at the IDesk,

Hala

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Haiti •Today At The I-Desk

Ben   January 13th, 2010 7:02 pm ET

The international firefighters assistance is the only organization who has over the years trained the few firefighters in Haiti and is believed to have been in the middle of disaster preparation planning in the U.S. while, calamity once again struck Haiti.

The Founder/President can be contacted through the following link.

Kelvin   January 13th, 2010 9:16 pm ET

I am happy with the way CNN is handling the crisis in Haiti this time around. The last time there was a disaster in Haiti, there was very limited media courage but this time around, the media courage is very impressive.
I am just a student from a different part of the world but I have donated the little I have and I encourage everyone to donate something to help the victims of this disaster. This incident really touches some of us because December collections in almost all catholic churches in the country where I live were solely to be sent to Haiti for sanitary and educational purposes. I really the wish the international community can come out strongly to help this poor country. I admire the US leadership in helping the victims of this disaster. May the good Lord bless, show mercy and comfort all those affected by this disaster.

Diane   January 13th, 2010 9:44 pm ET

My HEART and PRAYERS go out to all of Port-au-Prince and those who have been impacted. World and Haitian government officials, we have to step up and help the populus not only in times of crisis but in times of relative calm. Immense poverty and natural disasters are a devastating combination. Let's truly live out our professions of concern about and love for our fellow person.

Michael Jezylo   January 14th, 2010 1:41 am ET

Just curious why CNN sent Dr Sanjay Gupta to report on what's happening in Haiti rather than to help with their medical needs. I mean he is a Dr. right.Perhaps he should remember his Hippocratic Oath and put down the microphone and help them. I think CNN should be more selective about which reporters they send to cover a disaster like the one unfolding in Haiti. I found watching him report what's happening in Haiti rather than helping as he should was very disturbing.
Michael Jezylo

Francoise   January 14th, 2010 3:30 am ET

Please give this message to Colleen McEdwards:
We already know Haiti is a poor country and the poorest country in the Western Hempisphere. There is no reason why you have to continue calling the poor people of Haiti's homes...\"SLUMS\"! You are the only reporter that I hear uses this word over and over and over again to describe their way of living.
You should be ashamed and apologize for being so rude! ENOUGH.
What are you going to do to help?

Sara   January 14th, 2010 7:04 am ET

Please, please, please CNN, take away Dr Gupta's microphone and camera and let him do what the "Dr" in front of his name obligates him to do .. put his skills as a doctor (and SURGEON) ahead of his ego, ratings and career. To his credit, he seemed genuinely upset at the sight of the corpses lining the streets he was reporting on – I can't imagine he feels comfortable standing aside and acting as a "journalist".

Port-au-Prince desperately needs doctors, he's already there – other people can do interviews and win Pultizer Prizes – Dr Gupta can help stabilise patients and save peoples lives.

Millie   January 14th, 2010 2:58 pm ET

I want to thank CNN for the way they handling this crisis in haiti it's been tough watching, But also Comforting because that's our only link to haiti at this moment. I Apppreciate all From CNN. But I also must add that Port-Au-Prince is not the only affected citie by this unfortunate earthquake we have other cities in haiti where people do not know where their family members are, school collapse, houses collapse There are lots of other cities in Haiti who needs help just as well as Port-au-prince, to please keep that in mind, I also want to thank the US Government for their help with Haiti. All the help from the international countries are appreciated, I just hope that they understand not to let no donations fall in the hands of the Haiti Government, because then the people of Haiti will not see none of the help provided. And It would not be the first time. The Haitian Government always Fell It's own people. Enough:

Ayo   January 14th, 2010 3:48 pm ET

I think we are being too hard on Dr. Gupta. I want to believe he is doing what he can to help when he is off camera!

CNN, as your cover this disaster, can you please have a permanent box at a corner of the screen during I-Desk to remind viewers that they can help via cnn.com/impact ? Keep up the good work!

Our prayers go out to the people of Haiti

sabrina   January 14th, 2010 4:03 pm ET

what is happening in Haiti is a one quarter of what is happening in palestine and irak from the very begining of the wars and more; like killing,bombing,explosions and missing children and women ,but no one cares about it because it is occuring in the Arab muslim world. All the people on this world are humanbeings and they should be treated equally , if we want to help people in need so let's do it without distinction....

Marek   January 14th, 2010 4:44 pm ET

The most important in Haiti is long-term change. First of all political stability. USA as a guarantee of long-term change? USA as a patron of Haiti?

Juan Carlos   January 14th, 2010 6:25 pm ET

It just drive me nuts that you guys mention all the countries providing aid to Haiti and you just dont mention the Dominican Republic, so far the biggest provider of aid since the first day and instantly. Dominicans Hospitals are full of haitians also lots of trucks and other stuff

SANTO DOMINGO. The Dominican government has thrown itself into medical, food and search and rescue assistance efforts after the 7.3 on the Richter scale earthquake on Tuesday afternoon in Haiti tore apart the nation's capital, Port au Prince, with many buildings destroyed, including the National Palace.

Likewise, different non-governmental organizations have set up gathering centers and technical teams to go in aid of the persons affected in that devastated country.

The national authorities sent 10 mobile kitchens into Haiti yesterday, each one with the capacity to feed 50,000 rations of food, and they will produce 100,000 rations a day. Also sent were 39 truckloads of non-cooked food, 46 doctors, among them 10 trauma specialists from the Dario Contreras Hospital in Santo Domingo and Public Health appointed and sent to Area Four of the frontier that includes Dajabon, Jimani and Pedernales, 8 mobile clinics and 8 ambulances.

Authorities also shipped from the central warehouses in Jimani to Port au Prince, were tons of water, vaccines, saline solutions, analgesics, bandages and other supplies.

The Dominican Agrarian Institute (IAD) has established a collection center for farm products and other humanitarian assistance and Chancellor Carlos Morales Troncoso, who is Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates, instructed all Dominican missions overseas to get help for Haiti.

please read the following link:

Kelvin   January 14th, 2010 6:38 pm ET

CNN already has a lot of reporters down there. I also think Dr. Sanjay Gupta shouldn't be reporting. It makes more sense for him to spend time treating people. Come on CNN.

D ONE   January 14th, 2010 9:07 pm ET

ALL OVER THE COUNTRY OF THE HAITIANS, WE HEARD CRIES FOR HELP,EVERY WHERE IN THE WORLD EVERY BODY HAS RISEN UP TO HELP.HERE IN NIGERIA WE ALSO NEED HELP,A NATION WITH NO PRESIDENT FOR ALMOST TWO MONTHS AND A WHERE VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING AS FAILED.WE ALSO NEED HELP.JUST ACCEPT MY CONDOLENCE ON BEHALF OF MY MOST BELOVED NATION "NIGERIA",EVEN THOUGH THE LEADERS HAVE GONE TO SLEEP.

Fred Brun   January 14th, 2010 9:55 pm ET

To Francois complaint: The facts are the facts. I just hope after this disaster is under control and Haiti is being brought back to a level of normalcy, the International community will also have to bring the political and military elites of Haiti under control. They are responsible for the none existing infra structures, shoddy constructions and the inability for Haiti itself to be able to take care of its own affairs. They have stolen the resources and brutalized this poverty stricken society for centuries. The aid from all the International countries is necessary and noble but for the future of Haiti, it all will be for nought if conditions in Haiti do not change. There will be more natural disasters, how will Haiti be able to cope? With the current elites remaining in power the misery and rape of this unfortunate country will continue. Please spare me the psycho babble political correct comments which you hear on all the meadia.

Chantale Mitchell-Bklyn,N.Y.   January 15th, 2010 2:29 am ET

What news do you have on other cities and villages in Haiti other than Port-Of-Prince? I have family in petit guave and have heard no news of their safety. Were the also hit as well? Are they in the safe Zone? I have no way of reaching my family and your news team are my eyes and ears at this devastating time.. I canot get through the phone lines and feel completely helpless not being able to do anything but sit and wait. Not knowing is adding to the stress of it all.

guerlin   January 15th, 2010 3:37 am ET

My prayer for all haitians in Haiti now...My biggest problem is:[I been whatching CNN since this desaster in Haiti, I notice that all those people been trying to help looking other people stucked but I never see a police officer or a firefighter trying to help or with those people helping...for me this is wrong.]

Doug Shepord   January 15th, 2010 1:33 pm ET

This tragedy is beyond description but now the challenge is to deliver aid to the survivors. I would offer an idea for transporting supplies from the airport to the cities which appear to be cut off by damaged roads and a lack of vehicles: a human chain. Carrying a full pallet of water bottles, or MRE rations or medications requires trucks and roads but hand to hand passing one at a time can move these vital supplies now. If uninjured volunteers line the roads and work like a fire brigade, people can make a difference. I figure 2 teams of about 1500 people, working 15-20 minute shifts, could move supplies about a mile. I don't know how far the airport is from the population centers but there should be enough manpower to do this and it would give people some sense of a role in their recovery, a purpose for surviving. Mini-camps set up every 100 yards or so, stocked by say every 10th water bottle, blanket, or MRE, could provide shelter for the teams at night so the process could keep functioning until other means of transportation are restored.
I don't know if this is feasible but sometimes you have to think small when confronting a big problem.
I don't know how to get this idea out to the NGOs. Maybe CNN can do it.

cleopatra Mukula   January 15th, 2010 3:46 pm ET

Enough dead bodies please CNN!!! Please....enough! There has to be an element of ethical reporting here because these deceased persons deserve some respect and privacy. Please report on this critical issue without panning constantly to the lifeless reminder of the tragedy that Haiti continues to experience. Please.

Alex   January 15th, 2010 5:47 pm ET

I also want to thank CNN for being the only major news network to cover this tragedy from the very beginning. I also think Dr. Gupta is doing a wonderful job wearing two hats

On another note, I saw a brief segment where people were given the microphone for about 30seconds to say their name and let their family know that they're ok. Could CNN take an hour or so a day to do that?

A. Smith, Oregon   January 18th, 2010 8:24 pm ET

It appears none of the $208 Million dollars that Bush-Cheney supposedly gave to the Haitian people in 2007 for economic aid went to even the most basic of critical needs such as stockpiles of Medical Supplies, Emergency Food, Heavy Equipment, Medical Drugs and Desalination plants for fresh water. It looks like massive fraud upon the American taxpayers and the poor Haitian people.

The answer is Congressional investigations and accountability, not to put that war-criminal (Bush jr.) back in charge of overseeing any future Haitian relief funds!

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri at 1900 CET.