CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

November 19, 2009
Posted: 1340 GMT

Diplomats are meeting in Belgium today, and voting on the first-ever European Union President. There are several candidates in the running. We should know the name by 21:00 in London, 22:00 CET. But, we wanted to know:

Filed under: European Union •I-Desk Poll

Marc   November 19th, 2009 3:20 pm ET

I vote NO

The entire European community Overrated.
Because if there would be a European community, everyone in every European country have the same laws and wages, which now is certainly not the case.
Those who sit in Parliament, but doing it to enrich themselves and not to help the people in Europe .
No wonder the English are not transferred to the euro currency, because it suggests a total nothing, just that life is more expensive for us.

Bye bye from Belgium

nimitz benedicto   November 19th, 2009 4:17 pm ET

of course, let's wait & see.................
while hoping for the best.

The King Of The World   November 19th, 2009 4:34 pm ET

Very interesting.
I think the changes will be, but small.

"Acting better than idle"- Bhagavad Gita.

Jacque from France   November 19th, 2009 6:28 pm ET

The whole idea of an E.U president is just a farce. These are power-greedy leaders representing a flaw and undemocratic system that will ultimately fail. My only hope is that the African countries should be careful and resist these European thugs in every way possible.

paul beeckman   November 19th, 2009 8:14 pm ET

Herman Van Rompuy is intelligent ,modest,a good listener and a sincere human being. That is what a president should be.

Christian Verstraete   November 20th, 2009 7:08 am ET

Could CNN finally have non UK people comment on the new president for Europe. When I hear that Tony Blair is too big of a man to be president, that sickens me. Europe could just not accept to have as president a person from a country that is bearly part of the EU and stops the EU moving forward all the time.
Often the job makes the man, so let's see what Herman Van Rompuy will do moving forward before killing his image all together.
I can understand you prefer english natives to speak at your broadcasts, but if you want to understand the EU, you need to go beyond britain and the brits. This would help your audience understand better what is happening throughout our continent.

Al Moran Hevia   November 20th, 2009 9:54 am ET

I can't believe I'm going to say this.........I would have preferred Tony Blair. Now France and Germany have a Portuguese and a Belgium as "Boy Toys".

Regarding the other one...positive discrimination is another way of...discrimination...

Christian Verstraete   November 20th, 2009 7:36 pm ET

Why are people from a small country "Boy Toys" per your own expression. Wasn't Tony Blair the "Boy Toy" from the US when he was in charge? You seem to forget the start from the EU started in the benelux and the benelux have had immense contributions to the EU. They did not limit contributions to "I want my money back".

Al Moran Hevia   November 21st, 2009 12:38 am ET

I don't call them Boy Toys cause of belonging to small countries but cause of the facts. πŸ™‚

Barroso has proved that he will never challenge the thoughts of Sarkozy and Merkel (the real masters of these undemocratic farce). By the way, he was the boy toy of Bush too (together with Blair and Aznar).

Herman Van Rompuy may be intelligent ,modest,a good listener and a sincere human being but he's unknown to everybody in Europe and has no charisma at all. Whether we like or not, charisma is demanded to any leader and clearly the "rulers Nico and Angie" don't want to lose their power. He is going to be a boy toy...

I didn't want Tony Blair to win cause of his involvement in Irak (that indirectly cost lifes in Madrid and London) and his closeness to the US (ruled by Bush...) but certainly he has charisma and he's a leader and I would not mind Europe to be (even) closer to Obama (although I would have preferred Europe closer to Hillary...).

You are right about being ironic to the phrase "I want my money back". UK really became a powerful nation thanks to the EU. Maybe having Tony Blair as EU president (along with a mighty euro and a falling pound) may have changed the mind of great part of the English people...I say English cause I'm sure most Welsh and Scottish (e.g. Sean Connery) would be happier being closer to Brussels than to London ;-).

Christian Verstraete   November 21st, 2009 11:17 am ET

There is a saying that goes like this: "The position makes the person". So, before critisizing him, give him his chance. Tony Blqir was given the opportunity as special envoy in the Israeli-Palestine conflict, and he did nothing.

Secondly, the EU president role is ill defined; so having so,ebody who is slowly but surely building the role without irritating the country leaders, is what we need now. Today this role needs to be established and accepted. Its boundaries need to be defined. This will work way better if it is done by somebody establishing a consensus. Once the role is clearly established, a charismatic leader will take it to the next step. And maybe, if in the meantime Blair (and the English) demonstrate a little more european attitude, he may end-up with the job. In that case he will be very thankful to Herman Van Romuy for establishing the role and define its boundaries.

The british press would have been better of not attacking him even before he was nominated. On the continent this only makes General de Gaule's advise (Never let the UK become part of Europe) become true. Whether you like it or not, there is a strong frustration in many of the core european countries that, thanks to the UK (and you are right, it is primarily the english) Europe does not move as fast as it should.

The advantage now is that, with Lisbon, the UK may leave. Ironically, that might actually help Europe.

paul beeckman   November 21st, 2009 1:41 pm ET

Watch Van Rompuy. He has the knack to unite people and to ignite them to bring out the best of their souls and nation.
Judge him after his term and probably your doubts about leadership and charisma 'll have vanished.

Al Moran Hevia   November 23rd, 2009 10:34 am ET

I really hope you're both right in your predictions about Herman. Let's see...

British press was even more critical with Ashton and most of the continental press was very critical with both assignments too (and the way it was done). I think this is a sentiment shared by most people in Europe.

Anyway, just to clarify. I'm not British, I'm Spaniard and I'd also be happy to see UK going. I want full speed too. πŸ™‚

Lydia L. Santos   November 23rd, 2009 11:27 pm ET

It depends of his performance. I think if the will of God do what is good for that coun tryy and He the new president will do what that will of God ..Then His country may prosper. It depends on him. But if he do what is only for his own interest 100% he will failed because i will be the one who vanish him cause I am What I Am... The Beginning and The End...The New Era , The New Age in 3rd Millenium.. The HOLY SPIRIT!!!
JESUS told me so!!!
Lydz/09

cornel B. Ghana   January 29th, 2010 5:25 pm ET

Tony Blair has proven he has nothing to hide. He has been transparent,honest and humbly admitted his wrongs where he faults.This are the qualities of a true leader.I have come to respect him more.......

Al Moran Hevia   April 28th, 2010 5:11 pm ET

Well, well, well..........any doubt now about who is really ruling Europe?.......

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri atΒ 1900 CET.