CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

April 17, 2009
Posted: 1452 GMT

Hello everyone,

There is a lot of developing news out there today so I will make this brief.

We are closely monitoring the release by the U.S. Justice Department of memos detailing harsh interrogation methods of terrorism suspects during the Bush administration.

These are suspects questionned between 2002 and as late as 2005 in overseas prison facilities. The Obama team is asking Americans and the world to move on, issuing promises no CIA operatives will be prosecuted.

But the question for most of the world is hardly a legal one, but a question of what moral standards American intelligence sets for itself. We'll explore all the angles.

We'll also take you live to Spain where prosecutors asked a judge to drop a case against former Bush Administration officials for alleged torture at Guantanamo Bay. But a judge moved minutes ago to keep the case alive. We're live with the latest.

That and the rest of the day's important news and an announcement about I-Desk at the end of the program. Our show has been so successful, we're planning great new things for it, so tune in for details!

See you on TV,

Hala

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Today At The I-Desk

Tarek   April 17th, 2009 5:26 pm ET

Hi all.

Guantanamo bay, what is guantanamo bay, guantanamo bay is a place for criminal who did extrem bad things during war, and they will be treated depend on the bad things they have done in the past during the war.

My thoughts say that the interrogation methods was so hard because of the pain in the heart of officials reflection from september eleven,

They forget them self that they are human and forget the world, officials treat them just like they do not exist any more in this life, All officials gave the green light to do with them what ever they want. This is the story of Guantanamo bay.

But before I make any comments regarding Mr. Bush and the Bush Administration, I would like you hala first to answer this question (what can you do when the evil with his devils are living on the top of the sky scraper ?), the past makes the future if you know what i mean!

Bye and take care with the rest of Idesk team.

ossai oge   April 17th, 2009 6:05 pm ET

i just think that what obama is doing is right
and that the interrogation methods such even continue if possible because the people there are really bad and should be treated in really bad manners for doing bad.

from,

lagos,Nigeria

Katherine   April 18th, 2009 12:29 am ET

What was the big announcement? I missed the show. Has Hala decided to run for President next time around? Oh wait, she'd have to be born on US soil for that. Dommage...I'd vote for her. 🙂
Peace to all of you CNNers at the I-Desk,
Katherine

fawad   April 18th, 2009 5:24 am ET

@Katherine. very rude

Sohail Hussain   April 18th, 2009 7:33 am ET

I am shocked at the methods (Water Boarding, Confinement in coffin type space , sleep deprivation for 11 days, 100 deaths from these methods )& also the debate on the release of information. These are war crimes. Dictators , inhuman state security agencies all over the world have used these methods for security reasons ,Pol Pot, Israel, nazis, stalin, Mao, the japanese in ww2 , the CIAs phoneix program , the my lai massacre , the indonesians in their fight against insurgency, Malaysia .., the US army tiger force war crimes in during operation wheeler in quang tin & quang ngai , vietnam in November 1967, Rendation & transfer to 3rd countries for turture , overseas jails to avoid falling under US law ..... an endless list of brutality, inhuman conduct , all in the name of security, patriotisiom, acting under order. the geneva convention was signed to prevent these exceses, a step forward for civilisation. These are war criminals . Nazis & Japanese war criminals were executed for similiar actions. Why were they executed ? Many of them were following orders .The bush administration ,The CIA & the US military are guilty of war crimes . They followed orders without questioning the legality of the orders , same as the nazis .liberty, freedom are just hypocritical words used by politicians to convince the already convinced electorate. Democracy, for all its good sides , seems to have a serious flaw , what is right , what is justice , who should have have freedom/liberty, who has the right of self defence .. questions which all to often fall prey to self interest . Great if you are a citizen of the U.S or Isreal, not so great if you have something they want.

It is so sad that simply releasing the torture memos , are being touted as an example of what a fantastic society you come from. The rest of us can only see the barbarians at the gates. Sohail

Debbie   April 19th, 2009 1:08 pm ET

Hello there,

The US jails are full, over crowded with prisoners! If they have it to easy while in jail, they will get out and do the same thing over again. So, I say, to each their own. People do bad things, get caught, put in jail. Don't treat them nice!

Katherine   April 19th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Fawad,
I was not being rude at all...to the contrary, I was trying to express that I thought it too bad that Hala could not run for President. Perhaps your confusion is that you did not understand the French word "dommage" which translates into English as "too bad". Hala lived in Paris and would have understood that word, and I'm assuming she would have understood that I meant what I said as a total compliment...maybe she doesn't even read this blog? My original message had no rude intent. Promise.
A well-informed woman like Hala is a leader whom I would truly vote for.
Sincerely,
Katherine

enoch blay eddy   May 26th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

hi cnn news room ,cnn idesk is good news programm
and i like it so ,i watch cnn always, so go on with the goodworks
to help the workknow what is going on , thank you bye

Lili   March 24th, 2010 10:26 am ET

I was happy to see the news about the health insurance but i wish they thank Michael Francis Moore since he did touch every ones heart

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri at 1900 CET.