CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

April 2, 2009
Posted: 1742 GMT

Did you see it, during today's I-Desk??

We did a live shot with our good friend, Richard Quest, who was live at the Excel Center in London.  The goal of the hit was to analyze the G20 Summit.  Was it a success?  Of course, Richard answered that flawlessly.

Then, our plan took a bit of a detour.

Hala brought up Michelle Obama's apparent faux pas, when the U.S. First Lady half-hugged the Queen, during Wednesday's reception at Buckingham Palace.  The moment was caught on camera.  And, minutes before I-Desk started, the Palace released a statement, calling it a "mutual and spontaneous display of affection."  So, we decided to ask Richard about it, since he's our resident royal expert.

And, in typical Richard fashion, he demonstrated the half-hug, by dragging correspondent Paula Newton into the camera shot.  It was HILARIOUS!!  As you might imagine, the moment was completely unplanned... and, you could tell from Paula's jovial reaction.

Then, once that was done, Quest was simply just Quest.  He stopped in mid-sentence.  The entire control room, and Hala in the studio, were not sure what he was about to do.  Then, out of nowhere, Richard brought over European Commission President, Jose Manuel Barroso, for a quick live interview.

From our side of things, a planned 3 minute segment turned into 6 minutes.  But, no complaints from me.  It was great television!!

I hope you saw it... If not, don't worry.  Keep it tuned to I-Desk every day, because I'm sure we'll have plenty more.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Behind the scenes •G20 •I

Kevin D.   April 2nd, 2009 8:46 pm ET

I saw this on TV and i think Richard did a good job and i don't mind if his segment ran out a little bit , you know why? becouse its live television!

Rui Durão   April 3rd, 2009 9:05 am ET

You are right Kevin... No one can predict what is going to happen on Live emissions... ever.
Furthermore, it was funny. I was in bed, and I woke my wife with my loud laughs.

Julie   April 3rd, 2009 4:10 pm ET

He just cracked me up! You should put the video available...

Simon Sparksman   April 3rd, 2009 4:23 pm ET

Quest is absolute legend!
I guess my reaction was the same as in the control room – no idea what he's about to do but knowing the man, you know it's going to be good.
Kudos to you guys for staying with him and kudos to Quest for being Quest.

Rados   April 3rd, 2009 4:51 pm ET

That was a hilarious moment with Richard and Paula, they are a great team.
Could you post a video of it???

DZB   April 3rd, 2009 7:52 pm ET

Can I be the 3rd person to ask for a video of it on CNN.com?

Anyway, great stuff by Richard and Paula, and my buddies and I were laughing away (and I can't stop thinking about it)

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri at 1900 CET.