CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

April 1, 2009
Posted: 1509 GMT

"I'm quite frankly wondering how I'm going to get home."

keith2

That's what a financial strategist working in one of the building in the City of London just told me over the phone. Looking out of his window, he told me, he sees the protestors. The financial district is in lockdown and Keith Miller of Corporate FX says there are no cabs, no tube and no way to make it out of the "Square Mile."

We're hoping to talk live to Keith at the top of I-Desk and show pictures he's taken from inside his building, one of which I posted above.

We'll also be covering all the protests street level. A few trouble-makers smashed windows at the Royal bank of Scotland building. A bit of theatre that illustrates, but one that highlights the profound malaise felt by so many.

This G20 is crucial not for coming up with immediate measures, but for attracting global attention to a recession that is far deeper and more wide-ranging that even the most pessimistic of pessimists thought it would be.

The World Bank says the global economy will shrink for the first time since World War II in a report released yesterday. All 50 states in the U.S. are also in recession for the first time in a generation. And it's not a good month of March on the markets that is likely to fundementally change anyone's gloomy mood.

We'll be going live to Richard Quest for more on tonight's Obama-Queen Elizabeth meet and greet as well as all other angles of the G20 meetings and events.

See you on TV,

Hala

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Today At The I-Desk

Nam(South Korea,Busan)   April 1st, 2009 3:35 pm ET

What a Mess !

Lost in London   April 1st, 2009 7:44 pm ET

Interestingly, all the protesters stayed away from Canary Wharf, where some the big banks are headquartered in London (MS, Barclays, GS, Credit Suisse, Citi ect). No disruption, no noise, no protests, no attacks on any of these banks, just a few police cars and ambulances which thankfully have now gone back to base empty !

Kenneth ERONMWONSUYI   April 1st, 2009 7:55 pm ET

I was very sad about the line- up of G20 leaders, because this not the true representation of world political leaders, and I believed these very few leaders can not solve the world financial recession by selecting few political cacus, leaving african powerful leaders aside of the G20. If I may ask, who appointed these few leaders to speak on behalf of other countries like Nigeria and african nations who supplied, and contributes to the world economy,like crude oil, and moreso, african leaders who deposited their ill-gotten money to western banks
Kenneth Eron
(UK)

Bill S   April 1st, 2009 11:47 pm ET

Hala
You would hope people would act better.Do they really think anyone would follow someone who breaks windows and throws bottles?Looking forward to Richard take on things to come.
See you on the other side of the set.
Bill S

Mike L   April 2nd, 2009 5:06 pm ET

Isn't it obvious to everyone that the G20 Group are not the slightest bit interested in helping the man in the street?

There is a lot of talk, a lot of hot air..and a whole bunch of agreement in looking after themselves and nobody else.

I've never seen such a group of disingenuous people on one place in my life, especially Brown..AND Obama.

Can anyone ever remember the time the French ever earned any respect? Sarkozy has done nothing to change that!

Debbie   April 2nd, 2009 8:58 pm ET

Hello,
Yes, I agree! I watch the protest and I have to laugh. The G20 Group have no idea there is a protest going on and further more they don't even care.
I saw an article on CNN, talking about older people having to go back to work just to survive, make ends meet. Sure it is probably a good idea. I have said before and I will say again, should have gave all the elderly over a certain age a portion of the bailout money, to pay off their mortgages, buy an American made car and that would in turn save the mortgage situation and the car industry from going bankrupt. And give jobs to those that are more productive. But, like Mike said, no one is the bit interested in the what the average American working class person has to say, whether it is by protest on the street or making a comment on this blog.
Thanks
Debbie

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri at 1900 CET.