CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

March 30, 2009
Posted: 1525 GMT

Hello everyone,

We'll be covering the disgraced CEO du jour today at the I-Desk.

General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner was politely asked to leave by the Obama administration Friday and he did. At the company's helm since 2000, GM not only lost its place as largest car manufacturer in the world to Toyota but hemorrhaged $82 billion in the last four years alone.

Its share of the American market has also plummeted. It lost ground to foreign competitors in its own backyard. Harsh words from President Obama, who said there's been "a lot of mismanagement" in Detroit over the last few years.

But wait a minute. I'm confused. The person succeeding Wagoner is his heir apparent, Fritz Henderson. How is this a big change? Also, he may have moved too slowly, but Wagoner managed to slash GM's workforce and create  overseas production facilities. Is this just "political theatre" as some analysts are calling it, to appease the public, sick of taxpayer bailouts?

Either way, GM – and other American car makers – have failed to adapt their fleet of giant gas-guzzlers to today's market and are paying the price.

The possibility that a mammoth like GM could still face bankruptcy is scaring markets. Car shares are dragging indexes lower today. We'll be live in Detroit and on Wall Street.

Also today at the I-Desk, a shocking case of incest, reminiscent of Austria's Josef Fritzl. This time, it allegedly took place in Colombia, where a 59-year old father is accused of raping his daughter and fathering seven children with her over several decades. We'll be live in Colombia with the public outrage.

And the G20 meeting is about to kick off in the UK. We'll take you live to London for a preview of the crucial financial summit.

Plus a look at the latest Madonna adoption controversy with a live report from Africa. She's in Malawi applying to adopt a daughter. She's faced criticism that she is getting preferential treatment. With all the problems in the world today, Madonna  possibly getting an adoption shortcut in Malawi certainly doesn't make my shortlist of concerns.

See you on TV,

Hala

Posted by: ,
Filed under: CNN •Today At The I-Desk

Fawad Ali   March 30th, 2009 3:46 pm ET

"reminiscent of Austria’s Josef Fritzl......."

I haven't heard anything on this before.....I-Desk is a step ahead of me.

"She’s faced criticism that she is getting preferential treatment."

Unlike rest of Hollywood stars, these people are doing good stuff. But seems like people always able to find something scandalizing anyway.

Sterling   March 30th, 2009 4:47 pm ET

Concerning the North Korean rocket launch – not yet on your blog but widely discussed on I-Desk

There is no difference whatsoever between a rocket with a satellite on it and one with a weapon. They are both missiles. What matters is 1) does it work and 2) what is the payload (weight) it can launch into orbit or send intercontinentally (ICBM.) There is no reason to misinform the public or to induce hysteria. North Korea is only beginning to be able to fire a long range missile and its current payload capacity is hardly big enough to launch a morse code set, let alone a clumsy "atomic" (the first North Korean bomb was, at best, a fizzle) weapon that probably weighs as much as WW II's Hiroshima bomb. Just observe and learn , don't feed their hunger for publicity.

Cennah L.   March 30th, 2009 6:58 pm ET

Just I don't get it. American people have not been paying for every American's contrivance. This is a whole new ballgame.
I'm driving highway 64, 81 and 60; it isn't cheap.

Bill S   March 30th, 2009 11:40 pm ET

Hala
Having not seen the show do to the time change,this is just my take on the items you had on your post.I will start at the bottom and work to the top.
Madonna does anyone care ?
G20 Everyone should keep an eye on this lot.Its should be good tv for all to watch and talk about.
Incest in colombia,I'm at a lost for words,what nexts.
GM chapter 11 maybe the only way out, mismanagement,uaw,the whole bunch needs sorting.out fast.
Bill S

Debbie   March 31st, 2009 7:24 pm ET

Hello,
Big 3 Auto makers are giving out good deals to get American people to buy their cars. For all the money given to the auto companies and still not make it.....NO, I will never buy an American made car now!!!!!
To think, that money could have been given to the American people, then they could have went out and bought an American made car out right and that would have helped the auto makers, right? Duh!!!!!!
I have posted comments on here and not many were posted. I guess the truth hurts and you don't want other people to read what I wrote. That's ok......I am sure I am not the only one who feels the way I do.
I said also, that Madoff should be out of jail, because he, Capitol Hill and Wall Street are no different and Madoff is the only one being punished. Madoff did the American people wrong, but then so is the Government and Wall Street. You won't post this, cause it is not in your best interest to post it, but thanks anyway.

Carlos A.   April 3rd, 2009 12:23 am ET

Why do we get so worked up at the North (North Korea) for a launch? I just had breakfast here in Tokyo with a South Korean pilot, who simply said that they are use to such things and that the politicians are the ones (and the U.S.) that make these actions international incidents. Give it a rest and don't give the North so much attention.

Michael Romportl   April 26th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

When the American car makers can match the mechanical quality of the Toyota or Honda is when they will get out of the mess they are in now. Why don't they address that situation to solve their problems.

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

Previous article:
Next article:

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri at 1900 CET.