CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

March 25, 2009
Posted: 1531 GMT

Hello everyone,

Looking at the Dow Jones, I'm having a hard time believing that if things continue to go well on Wall Street, we'll be up to 8,000 again on the big board. Remember when we were a thousand points lower just a few sessions ago?

Last month, new home sales in America bounced unexpectedly. Sure they're still at terribly low levels, but they're up. We'll take it!

Also inteersting today, after the AIG bonus hooha, one top AIG exec submitted his resignation to AIG CEO Edward Liddy. His letter was printed in the New York Times' Op-Ed section.

It's a fascinating look from inside AIG. Former Executive VP Jake De Santis writes to his boss: "We should not be cheated of our pay any more than a plumber who has fixed the pipes before a careless electrician burned down the house."

I can hear some readers saying "cry me a river," but perhaps others will start feeling sympathy for AIG employees who've worked hard and whose units did not cause the giant to collapse, today villified and asked to hand back their bonus money.

We'll talk about reaction to the AIG letter and the market numbers with Stephanie Elam in New York.

Also on tap: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's visit to Mexico. Neighborly relations are going through a rought patch over the drug wars in Northern Mexico and how to quell the violence in the border region. The U.S. is sending more money and agents to the area, while some Mexicans feel the problems starts and end in the U.S., where most of the drug users are based and where the weapons come from.

We'll also go live to Jerusalem for the latest on the new coalition government and cover all the rest of the day's top stories.

Oh and our show wouldn't be complete today without an item on Spandau Ballet's reunion tour. I've had "True" stuck in my head all morning. To be truthful, I've been singing "This muuuch is true" all morning. My colleagues don't seem overly pleased.

See you on TV.

Hala

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Today At The I-Desk

Joe   March 25th, 2009 5:30 pm ET

Hala, didn't y'all know that YouTube has been cut in Turkey for quite awhile? I couldn't belive it when I visited there 3 weeks ago. Someone insulted the government.

Julie   March 25th, 2009 5:43 pm ET

Spandau Ballet reunion? Really?? Just reading “This much is true” on this blog and the music got stuck in my read. Maybe I’ll try “Only when you live” for a change. C’mon…

Rados, Serbia   March 25th, 2009 6:10 pm ET

You've got a great singing voice Hala and this is not the first time we got the chance to hear it. Hope it's not the last either.

Bill S   March 25th, 2009 6:52 pm ET

Hala
I just seen the last bit of your show today,You should sing more on air its makes great tv Hala. Cheers.

michael   March 26th, 2009 6:32 am ET

I think the internationaldesk is one of the best shows cnn has come up with and hala's just the best...keep it up cnn

Lisa   March 26th, 2009 8:23 am ET

Nice to see you smile a while, Hala 🙂

No doubt that more time given to the U.S. stocks that make it into the positive could also do it's part for a positive outlook.

Have a great day.

Debbie   March 27th, 2009 4:46 am ET

Hello,
I have an idea!! Why not take part of the TARP money, give a certain number of senior citizens that are working and should be retired, about 100,000 dollars each. That would inturn allow that person to pay off their mortage, buy an American made car, putting that money back in the system, helping the economy. Those seniors that have then received this money and retired, just think of how many jobs would be available then for those people out of a job.
Look how many jobs would have been created. But then, that would be giving money to the wrong kind of people. Can't have that, now can we?

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

Previous article:
Next article:

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri at 1900 CET.