CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US

March 5, 2009
Posted: 1524 GMT

Hello readers and viewers,

Well... Interest rates at 0.5% for the Bank of England. It's a new all-time low for the venerable 400 year-old institution. The BoE is also increasing money supply, a fancy way of saying it's printing money.

On the same day, the European Central Bank is cutting interest rates as well: it slashed 50 basis points off its main lending rate to 1.5%. Sounds good, except that it also slashed growth rates for the Eurozone.

When will this all end? The Bank of England has cut rates six times since October. Still, banks aren't lending. Still, consumers aren't borrowing. Governments are in a hysterical bailout frenzy, using every economic tool in their arsenal.

Still, we're frozen in credit paralysis.

We'll talk about this and the prospect of American carmaking giant General Motors facing bankruptcy. Jim Boulden is in London and Stephanie Elam is in New York with the latest on GM and today's stock market declines.

Also at the I-Desk: we take you to Brussels where Nato foreign ministers are meeting and resuming formal ties with Russia. We'll be live in Brussels and in Moscow with Russian reaction.

A lot more, including Michael Jackson's comeback annoucement and amazing video of a man, hit by both a train and a truck , who lived to tell the tale. You don't want to miss it.

See you in a few hours at the International Desk.

Hala

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Economy •I •NATO

Fawad Ali   March 5th, 2009 3:52 pm ET

@ Economy .........................I heard some very selfish people and they are really bored...

@ Resuming formal ties with Russia

....talking and doing business with everyone but Hamas......Russians are committed and they won't back down until Iran will become Nuclear.

@Michael Jackson’s return "will I entertain his come back and go to concerts"

Sure, Only if I’m stoned…….I don’t love Michael the way I used to……he is old and battered by accusations…….and there is so much history……and who can forget “Michael in his pajamas dancing on black SUV, and fighting parents of abused children in the court of law”……

Magnolia   March 5th, 2009 5:25 pm ET

Of course I would go to see his concert!!!
Man, what a question!!!!!
He's a damn living legend!!!!

Without MJ we wouldn't have such music which we listen today !!!
He has done so much for us ,the fans, for his family and for the children of the world!!!!

Pantelis   March 5th, 2009 5:26 pm ET

On Michael Jackson

Did he ever do anything for others? Did he ever offer any of his money when he was a multi millionaire? Why bail him out now?

Are Hala's eyes Blue, Grey, or a combination? Either way very impressive colour!

Kingsley   March 5th, 2009 5:26 pm ET

I would definately go to the king of Pop music's concert 'cos its a one of a life time opportunity to have fun,listen to good music and watch his magical moves.

Sean Robertson   March 5th, 2009 5:29 pm ET

Are you kidding me! Of course I'd go to an MJ concert!!!! I can't wait!

steve paul from Owerri,Nigeria   March 5th, 2009 5:32 pm ET

The downfall of a man is not the end of his life,in life you fall ten times and rise ten times,that keeps you going strong,and remember finally that a strong ambition is highway to sucsess,up you Michael.

Tunde   March 5th, 2009 5:44 pm ET

I WILL THERE LIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NO MATTER D COST

Julio   March 5th, 2009 5:53 pm ET

First of all I'd like to congratulate Hala for her beauty and grace....and say that here in Brazil we could have this format to present the news: agile, interesting and fast.
I just loved to watch the way you do this program.

Russell Clark   March 6th, 2009 5:20 pm ET

When will the time come when humans stop depending on paper money and find a better solution to solve the Great Egos possesion for power. When will it stop. Im not buying the scandal!

jo   March 11th, 2009 8:53 am ET

helloo pantelis and to those who don't know, MJ remains the most charitable celebrity (more than 300 million) donated to 39 charities around the world. so don't bullshit.

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

Previous article:
Next article:

About this blog

International Desk brings viewers into the heart of the largest news gathering operation in the world. Viewers don't come here to watch the news; they come here to be immersed in it. To feel the rush of being the first to know what's happening as stories break, and to leave knowing they've gotten the best and latest information available. The show airs Mon-Fri at 1900 CET.